Welcome to Year 5 Kingfisher Class!
*If you haven't done so yet, please send your Astrodome money (£3.50) into school, on the first day back (Tuesday 4th September).*
Welcome to our class page. Here you can find what we are learning about and any key updates. My name is Mr Sutherland, I am the class teacher of Kingfisher Class and my teaching assistant is Mrs Andrews. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to come and see me after school, write a note in your child's contact book, or fill out the form below.
Term 1 - Stargazers
Journey through space, the final frontier… Navigate beyond the Sun: the magnificent, blazing star at the centre of our solar system!
Investigate the 8 planets – Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Take a look at the moon, a celestial body that orbits Earth.
Compare the time of day at different places on Earth and use GPS navigation systems to track hidden treasure! Get in a spin making simple models of the solar system and listen to the haunting sound of space-themed songs.
Then it’s three, two, one…. BLAST OFF!
Exploring space is probably the greatest adventure that humankind has ever undertaken. Are we alone or are there other forms of life out there?
If you would like to have a look at some more information about the our current learning - have a look at these:
Over the summer, it would be advantageous for your child to have a basic understanding of:
- Learning Project: Research all elements of Space, what can you find out?
- Reading: Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce. Or visit the library and take out some non-fiction books. Be sure to use your summer reading challenge card!
- Maths: The place value of number to one million; comparing , ordering and sequencing them. Refresh your memory of Roman Numerals - to 100.
- Music: Listen to space related songs: such as Rocket man.
- Science: What is gravity? What is the Solar System?
- GPS: What are the word classes? Find as many examples as you can.
Are you taking part in the summer reading challenge? Photograph yourself reading in an exotic/unusual place. What will you discover?
I can't wait to see all of your photos in September!
Scroll down to see our learning from the term so far...